Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Birthday Trip

Heath and I had a wonderful day on the Outer Banks today. We woke up around 8am and headed out to find breakfast around 9:30am. Heath's two favorite breakfast places were closed, so we ended up eating at a Western Sizzlin-which was okay, but nothing to really write about. We then decided to head to The Wright Brothers National Memorial. I have often wondered about what the Wright Brothers felt when they arrived in rural North Carolina to test their flying machines. While that really didn't get answered, I did find out how they chose who made the first flight. They took turns and apparently Wilbur's flight before the successful, wasn't something to write home about.




The Flight Path.





We then decided to drive to the Carrituck Lighthouse. It was a delightful drive. We stopped in Duck and did a little shopping. Heath bought me a an Outer Banks sticker for my car. We had some ice cream-it had a little freezer burn, but all in all it was still good. Much better than the fruit flies in my Manhattan the night before at Pirate's cove. We arrived at the Carrituck to find that the lighthouse was closed for the season. That is why the picture below is not all that great. It is definitely a place that I would like to visit. There were several buildings around the lighthouse that were restored and look like they would be interesting.

Heath and I then decided to head to the Bodie Island Lighthouse. It is close to his father's house in Nags Head. The surrounding area was clear, which made for a better picture.
We headed over to the marina that Heath and his family go to when they have their Thanksgiving fishing holiday. There wasn't too much to see. It was much too cold for most people to fish. Only four boats had gone out that morning and none had returned yet. I did snap a picture of Heath's car. We took his 350Z instead of the Highlander. It is a very fun car, even if I did have to grab the seat every time he accelerated.
We went back to the beach house and Heath took a nap while I took a few pictures around the house. Here is the view from the huge back deck. There are two dunes that are very difficult to see in this picture. The are at Jockey's Ridge State Park. In the warmer months, this is a very popular place with hang-gliders.

Heath then gave me my birthday present, which I will post more about later. We headed to The Weeping Radish Brewery for dinner. I told Heath that I wanted German food for my birthday and this is what we found. I had a pint of Black Radish and we ordered a sausage poppers, which Heath enjoyed. I had a cup of Beer, Cheese, and Bacon Soup, which was delicious. I also had Jager Schnitzel and Heath had a Sausage sampler. The food was wonderful and there were tons of it. I recommend it to anyone who is planning a trip to the Outer Banks. We returned to the beach house and watched a little bit of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and had some Limoncello. Heath then decided that we should have dessert. We went to Basnights Lone Cedar Cafe and Heath had Creme Brulee and I had Key Lime Pie. We returned to the beach house and finished watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall. All-in-all it was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment